Bridal Fitness on Paper - Training for a 10K

After a very, VERY busy and chaotic month, I'm finally back to blogging! I'm still busy as hell trying to get settled into our new apartment in Denver, but at least I get to stay in one place for more than a few days at a time! I want to take a moment to thank all of my guest bloggers, who were so very kind enough to help me out for the past couple of weeks while I was traveling and moving. I hope you enjoyed the content as much as I had hoped you would!


My husband, two kitties and I all arrived in Denver on Saturday, after an 18 hour drive that was not so fun. Ha, I'm just not a roadtrip person. I usually get car sick and a little bit closterphobic if I'm in an enclosed space for too long. Luckily, I was prepared with a good assortment of motion sickness meds that helped pull me through!


The week before we moved, Dale and I made a trip to Kaui, Hawaii for a week. We had a great time - did a whole lot, too - hikes, luau, whale watching, beaches, pool time and lots of food and cocktails, of course :) It did end up raining and getting a bit windy there, but it wasn't too bad, and it usually didn't last all day. I still got a little tan! But with all of the drinking and eating going on with the holidays and vacations, I definitely need to get myself back on track. I haven't been able to work out nearly as much as I'd like, but I'm excited to take advantage of the 24-hour gym that my apartment building offers! That, and I'm going back on my diet to lose the 5-10 pounds that I've gained over the past couple of months =P


You may remember me mentioning that I was in Michigan with Dale's family for the holidays. While I was there a few weeks ago, I shared my New Year's resolutions with you. Some were fitness and diet related, some were not, but one of the challenges that I set for myself this year was to run a half marathon. I used to run a lot when I was in college, but began trying other forms of exercise out of boredom. Running has always been one of my greatest physical and mental challenges. I usually avoid it like the plague; I'll do anything else to get out of running. I set this resolution because I thought that having that finish line in mind could help motivate me to get back into running. That, and I'd love to try something different with my fitness routine this year. But before I try the half marathon, I thought I'd give the 10K race a try. I figure it's about half the distance as a half marathon, so it'll be a good way to start and work my way up to it. That, and I'll have a better idea of exactly what I'm getting myself into with the marathon!


Bridal Fitness on Paper - Training for a 10K


Even though I work out a lot, I feel like I'm definitely in the "Beginner" category when it comes to running. Especially now that I'm here in Denver, where the altitude is high and the air is much thinner, which makes it twice as hard to exercise. I know that I'm pretty much going to be starting from scratch, so I thought I'd write and share my experience training with you guys here on Bridal Fitness on Paper!


I've been looking for training routines, and I think I found one that I'm going to try to stick to. This is an eight week training plan, but to simplify things a bit, I'm only sharing the first half (4 weeks) today. Wish me luck that I can do it! =P Now, anyone else training for a marathon this year??? Any tips or suggestions for me?




Bridal Fitness on Paper - Beginner's Training Schedule for 10K Race (Part 1)

Training for 10K Race (Part 1)
Adapted from About.com

Level of Difficulty:

5 out of 5 rings

Equipment:
I plan on running on a treadmill (our new apartment complex has a 24-hour gym!), for the first half of the training schedule, although you should plan on running outside as the race draws closer. Should you decide to do a majority of your training outside though, you may want to consider purchasing a heart monitor/gps to keep track of how far you're running each time. It's also recommended to do some sort of "Cross training," at least once a week, which could be biking, swimming, elliptical, etc.


Time Commitment: 25 minutes to an hour, 4-5 days a week

Week Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
1 Run 1.5 miles at a comfortable pace Rest Cross-training activity (moderate level of difficulty) for 30-40 minutes Run 1.5 miles at a comfortable pace Rest This is the day of the week when you'll focus on improving your running distance. Run 2 miles today at a comfortable pace (similar to what you'd like your pace to be when you run the actual race). An "Active rest day," you'll want to do an easy run, walk or cross-training exercise for 25-30 minutes.
2 Run 2 miles at comfortable pace Rest Cross-training activity (moderate level of difficulty) for 30-40 minutes Run 2 miles at comfortable pace Rest This is the day of the week when you'll focus on improving your running distance. Run 3.5 miles today at a comfortable pace. An "Active Rest Day," you'll want to do an easy run, walk or cross-training exercise for 25-30 minutes.
3 Run 2.5 miles at comfortable pace Rest Cross-training activity (moderate level of difficulty) for 30-40 minutes Run 2 miles at comfortable pace Rest This is the day of the week when you'll focus on improving your running distance. Run 3.5 miles today at a comfortable pace. An "Active Rest Day," you'll want to do an easy run, walk or cross-training exercise for 25-30 minutes.
4 Run 2.5 miles at comfortable pace Rest Cross-training activity (moderate level of difficulty) for 30-40 minutes Run 2 miles at comfortable pace Rest This is the day of the week when you'll focus on improving your running distance. Run 3.5 miles today at a comfortable pace. An "Active Rest Day," you'll want to do an easy run, walk or cross-training exercise for 25-30 minutes.

If you're curious about a specific workout and you'd like for me to review it, please do leave a comment below or feel free to send me an email at Sarah - at - apaperproposal - dot - com.


0 评论: