California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea

I had been on the mainland less than 10  hours (and sleeping for approximately 7 of them) before I stole my mom’s car and booked it to the coast.  An earlier than expected arrival allowed me to meet up with Jared & Seth in Big Sur.  Jared, a fan of all things spontaneous, had found an amazing 1979 VW Bus for sale in the area and had flown to Cali to buy it, road tripping back up the coast to his home in Washington.  Seth’s playing the role of trusty co-pilot/equally coffee obsessed/makeshift mechanic.

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea It is love at first sight with “Daisy” named by the buses original rasta/hippy owner.  Everything from the stickers to the color and the plaid upholstery has me obsessing over it’s perfection.  We waste no time driving Daisy down the coast to Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to hike.

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea We somehow get off trail right away, letting avid rock climber Seth lead the way.   The scene at Big Sur, from the coastal cliffs to the enveloped forest is magnificent.  Feeling the springing Earth beneath my feet and the expansive trees rising so high and strong above me,  I feel my body responding to the whole of nature in it’s expanding beauty. I belong here.

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea

This is heaven. If there is a better word I’m not sure what it is.  The inexplicable connectedness and the sacred moments of harmony lift my feet off the Earth and I transcend into pure bliss.

The park rangers can’t even interfere with this feeling as we pick the ONE trail out of the entire park that is closed and they turn us around early into the hike.  Moving on the to the next, we commence on a 2 1/2-3 mile ass burner straight up the Tin House Trail, taking in some epic views on our way up.

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea Starving, we drive to one of my favorite restaurants, Nepenthes , an essential stop on a Highway 1 road trip and fill up on burgers, beers, in-house made deserts, and views.

Never quite ready to leave this unique location, we head north towards Carmel to post up for the night, stopping to catch the sun in it’s last few minutes of glory.

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea

Arriving just after dark, we big league it and park Daisy on Scenic Drive, right in between Carmel-by-the-Sea’s multi-million dollar homes and the beach.

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea Full moon shining, we fall asleep to the sounds and stretch of the sea and wake up to the same beautiful scene. Coffee, beach walk, and a yummy local breakfast at Carmel Belle , I say good-bye to the boys for the day with plans to meet in San Francisco the following morning. The California Diaries continue….

California Diaries- Keep me by the Sea

photo by Seth W.

“The sea is emotion incarnate. It loves, hates, and weeps. It defies all attempts to capture it with words and rejects all shackles. No matter what you say about it, there is always that which you can’t.” -Christopher Paolini

0 评论: