Get Away With Shaun Frank With This Exclusive Playlist

Get Away With Shaun Frank With This Exclusive Playlist
Shaun Frank

By now, you’ve all probably heard the story of the Chainsmokers ’ #1 hit, “ Closer .” You may also know it was co-written by Shaun Frank , an artist who has racked up songwriting credits with Tiësto , Oliver Heldens , Steve Aoki and KSHMR in the last several years. The fast-rising producer flexed his ability for writing solid tunes early on, and he continues to compose and structure his songs in such a way that they can only be experienced in their totality. His classical training and background in rock music come together flawlessly in his style, allowing him to craft compelling narratives with sound. Coupled with the fact that he’s an accomplished vocalist and multi-instrumentalist, this solid studio skill set places him leagues apart from his contemporaries.

Shaun Frank is right in the middle of his global Getaway Tour. Ahead of his stop at Create in Hollywood this Friday, October 14, he’s put together an exclusive playlist of the tunes that are giving him the feels at the moment. His eclectic taste shines through in his selections, which range from laid-back future vibes and bangin’ basslines to funked-up G-house.

We chatted with Shaun Frank about his punk rock past and his future as a live performer.

You started your career in punk bands. How would you say the energy of punk rock compares to that of EDM, both musically and in a performance setting?
The energy of the EDM scene is what actually attracted me to it. I remember going to my first couple of [EDM] events and feeling like the energy was similar to when I was super young and going to a Taking Back Sunday concert. I think there’s a lot that could happen with “DJs” to bring the performance aspect to a higher level, by adding more live instruments and vocalists, etc. I’m hoping to do a lot more of that stuff as I progress.

How important is narrative in your songwriting process? Does that figure into your DJ sets?
I’m very focused on the lyrics and how they make me feel when I hear them. I aim to have songs that will be great in the club, but also great lying in bed and listening on headphones. The best dance music, for me, is the stuff that sounds good in and out of the club.

Your last band broke up as a result of a bad record deal. Do you feel like you have more freedom as an independent artist?
Absolutely. My last band broke up because I had 50 songs recorded and none of them were coming out. The great thing about being independent is that I can just put out music whenever I want. It’s truly the most freeing feeling in the world after dealing with all that other bullshit with my bands.

How do you see things changing for artists as more major labels enter into deals with formerly independent dance imprints?
I’m starting to see labels trying to lock artists in for longer deals. It’s already really affecting things, in my opinion. The speed at which good music is coming out on labels is actually slowing down a bit as artists and labels are chasing the “radio” record. Also, now that Spotify seems to be the biggest medium for music listening, it’s really changing things a lot, because it seems like the most supported stuff on Spotify is the easy listening, poppy stuff; the club bangers are taking a back seat. It’s definitely segregating the industry back into the popular and underground categories a lot right now, which will only be good for the underground. I hope to continue to dig into both sides.

You have a genre-spanning musical background. With the success of tracks like “Closer,” are you finding yourself writing for acts outside of EDM?
For sure. As a matter of fact, I’m on my way right now to write with Enrique Iglesias for his new album before I pick the Getaway Tour back up in San Diego, Los Angeles, Portland, and Salt Lake City this weekend. I’ve also been writing tracks for Selena Gomez and Zayn Malik of One Direction, and of course a ton more for myself!

Considering your extensive experience as a live performer, do you see yourself creating something that incorporates even more live elements than you do now in your future performances?
It’s already started! I always like to incorporate live vocals in my show. I’ve had Delaney Jane out performing with me at a bunch of festivals and shows this past summer. We actually just got back from a tour in Asia together. I started bringing some live keyboards into the show in my hometown of Toronto, and I loved it. Gonna start doing a lot more of that!

Shaun Frank performs at Create Nightclub in Hollywood Friday, October 14. Tickets are available now . For more information, visit the official event page .

Follow Shaun Frank on Facebook | Twitter | SoundCloud

0 评论: