A 35th Birthday filled with Gratitude

A 35th Birthday filled with Gratitude

To the next 35

Today is my birthday. I turn 35 (but shhh don’t tell anyone that, it’s my secret and my students still think I’m in my twenties) 35 once seemed so old to me. I used to think when you were 35 life was almost over; It was swallowed up by dishes and bills and screaming children. Well, there is that aspect to it somewhat, but really life is how you choose it to be by what you focus on. And my life at 35, (although has adult responsibilities), still has the youth and freedom of my twenties. Why would I want it to be any other way?

35 they say is often the start of the out of control mid life crises. The point when you realize “Shit I’m really not getting any younger. Life is slipping away and I haven’t done anything. Time to go out and buy the sports-car and pick up a toy boy to drive me home in it.” I don’t feel 35, and I don’t feel like the best years of my life are behind me. The best years of your life are the ones you are living now. Am I halfway to the end of my journey here on earth? I hope not yet. But who can ever know that. Perhaps I am close to the end.

Thinking of the answers to these questions will lead you to the mid life crises or to the doctors for a Prozac prescription to deaden the pains of anxiety. Instead today, I am going to live another day in celebration. Celebration for an extraordinary life so far, and celebration for the amazing journey still to come. In honor of today. I am going to list 35 things in my past I am incredibly grateful for.

35 things to celebrate

  1. The greatest gift life has ever given me- my beautiful daughter Kalyra
  2. My wonderful soul mate, Craig who has shared a 10 year dream life with me and has not yet killed me.
  3. Parents who did the job I chose them for- they gave me strength, taught me passion, and supported my nomadic desires to be away from them
  4. Siblings who understand me, love me, and never question what I want to do instead giving me a “Good on ya” I love being in the company of my brothers and sisters.
  5. Beating the odds to be born healthy and continuing that pattern of health for 35 years.
  6. Being born in Australia, and having incredible opportunities that I know other people born in other countries will never have.
  7. All the pain that has existed in my past, as it has shown me a better way, and forced me to learn some truths about myself and life.
  8. Bec for years of friendship, fun, laughter and unbelievable memories.
  9. Woody for never giving up on me and for always bringing belly hurting laughter into my life.
  10. For all my friends in Oz and around the world- I’m just ecstatic to have amazing friends.
  11. For never having to call the in-laws “out-laws” A terrific family to marry into.
  12. For the highest values in my life being fun and freedom. Not sure how that happened but it has driven me to live the life that I have.
  13. Bangkok  for putting up with my cultural shock meltdowns and allowing me to teach and live in your great country.
  14. Thailand for teaching me to relax, and that there really are no worries in life.
  15. Vietnam for teaching me that war is never a good option.
  16. For finally discovering my purpose, before it is too late and I do go out and buy that Ferrari and the cute salesman
  17. For the wonderful people I have met through this travel blogging community. Every day, I feel as if I am on the road again hanging out with you over beers or coffee.
  18. University for teaching me how to drink beer.
  19. Okay Uni, I’m also grateful that you gave me my teaching degree so I could teach around the world.
  20. For all the hugs, smiles, letters, and achievements of my students- go get your dreams kiddies!
  21. For that psycho motorbike driver in Indo who didn’t really kill me like he said he would. Stay off the mushrooms from now on will you.
  22. For showing me Wii, so I could sing rock songs to a crowd of 65,000 cheering fans begging for more.
  23. Travel, travel, travel, travel, travel….. do I need to say anymore.
  24. Kim- for opening my eyes up to the beauty that lives in us all.
  25. Dublin for being the hand that guided my way out of the dark.
  26. Planet Earth for giving me everything I need to survive without ever asking for anything in return.
  27. The Universe for always giving, loving, supporting, and sharing unconditionally and putting up with all our whiny bullshit in return.
  28. Carolina Tar Heels for showing me sporting excellence. Can we make it a third championship since we have become life long friends?
  29. America for giving us a great four years and teaching us many things, with lots of memorable times thrown in,
  30. Hitesh for being our first American friend and still with us today.
  31. Can I say my idiotic financial decisions that continue to haunt me?  (mid life crises Caroline) Okay I am grateful.  😡
  32. All the music in the world that has inspired, uplifted me and giving me good reason to dance (and others a reason to laugh)
  33. Laughter, parties, festivals, and celebrations- joy joy joy
  34. My Michael Buble concert tickets and Thai massage voucher I woke up to this morning. My husband rocks!!
  35. Wazza for reminding me every day to live life freely, fearlessly, and with joyful passion

Mid life crises averted. Bring on the next 35!!

0 评论: