Haute Designer to Know | Annie Jane Bridal

There’s nothing I love more than sharing the work of amazingly talented young designers who not only create beautiful things, but have taken a leap of faith to make their dreams a reality. When Kelsey Kreiling first introduced me to her line, Annie Jane Bridal , I was smitten by the femininity of her custom and ready-to-wear gowns… But once we got to chatting, I learned the designer behind the line is all but 23, with a fresh, yet refined design aesthetic well beyond her years!
Haute Designer to Know | Annie Jane Bridal As a design school grad who began her line from her family’s sun room only one year ago, Kelsey offers a chic, yet approachable perspective on custom wedding dresses. I’m all but certain she will be making major moves on the bridal fashion world very soon. Below, a peek at her work and an exclusive Merci New York interview with the lovely and tres-inspiring designer… xx.
Haute Designer to Know | Annie Jane Bridal Tell us a little about yourself!
“My name is Kelsey Kreiling, I’m the designer behind Annie Jane Bridal, a bespoke and ready to wear bridal line based in Chicago. I started the company this year, by taking over my family’s sun room to create a studio!”

What inspired you to develop the line?
“Annie Jane Bridal started as a place to make gowns that were feminine, elegant and delicate – the kind of gown that a woman wears gracefully, instead of a gown that looks and feels intimidating.”

Where did the name Annie Jane Bridal come from?
“Annie Jane Bridal was named after my two grandmothers, Anastasia and Jane Elizabeth. I’m so inspired by the women in my family… I wanted to create a line that represented their fiery independence, grace and wit.”

Who is the Annie Jane bride?
“Brides who are fiercely original, and in love with the idea of creating their gown. They want to spend time designing their ideal gown and building a really beautiful memory of the experience. The ready-to-wear line is a great middle ground for brides that want something totally different, but might not have the time for complete bespoke. They are all gowns that will look unique on every woman.”
Haute Designer to Know | Annie Jane Bridal When did you begin Annie Jane Bridal?
“I started Annie Jane Bridal while I was still in design school. I was working on my first collection and I didn’t want to stop making gorgeous things! I also own an online fashion publication { LaundryMagazine.com }, so I’ve spent a lot of time looking at fashion and new designers, enough to see that this was something that independent, young brides are really looking for.”

What’s your favorite part of your job?
“I love the first design consultations with brides, learning what they’re looking for and helping them envision their big day, but my most favorite moment is when fabric arrives from my supplier in New York! It always comes on big bolts and I just rip into them, pull all of the fabric out, and am immediately fighting to just drape a new design.”

What inspired your dress designs?
“My everyday inspiration is drawn from lots of small things – fashion, film, light filtering through windows in the afternoon, vintage gowns and books I’ve read. Sometimes a design for a gown will just pop into my mind and then stick there until I make it, but 90 percent of the time I have no idea what I’m making until I have the fabric in my hands.”

What was the inspiration for the very first wedding dress you designed?
“The first gown I designed was for a bride who was getting married on the beach. She wanted something that would reflect the openness of the day and she ended up having a gorgeous layered organza gown with a Swarovski waistband. Originally the waistband was a teal vintage grosgrain ribbon, but when she came to my studio for a fitting, she fell in love with the changing room curtains! The next thing I knew, I was taking a pair of shears and cutting my curtains to make a new waistband! She was right, though… It was the perfect blue!”
Haute Designer to Know | Annie Jane Bridal Who are your design icons?
Hannah Macgibbon and Phoebe Phillo understand elegance in an understated way that I love. Diane Von Furstenberg is a great fashion business icon. I’m only 23, which is about the age that she began her business so even though I’m not European royalty, it’s fascinating to learn about her early years in business.

What do you think is the biggest mistake brides make when wedding dress shopping?
I think there is a lot of pressure to spend a lot of money on a name brand gown when there are so many more personal options. A dress shouldn’t feel like a financial obligation or a huge stress, it should be a beautiful representation of a Bride’s personality, no matter what the budget.

What is the price point for your gowns?
“Annie Jane gowns range from $1,000 – $4,000.”

Where are you located? Where can we buy your beautiful dresses?
Annie Jane Bridal started and is based in Chicago. You can buy the ready-to-wear line here . This is my temporary site and we post regularly on our Facebook and Twitter feeds!

Are you planning on expanding Annie Jane Bridal?
“I’d like to move in to a Chicago storefront or studio by January and I’m in talks with a few bridal boutiques that would like to carry the line. Stay tuned!”

Photographer- Kirsten Miccoli
Models- Liz Harvey and Clara Wong { Agency Galatea }
Hair & Makeup- Diem Angie

0 评论: